If you liked the holiday treats we had at todays preview (or for those of you who weren’t here but like cupcakes), you’re in luck because our resident sweets expert Steph has agreed to share her recipe with you all. Here’s her (not so secret) recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream icing:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place butter and sugar in a mixer and blend until light and fluffy
- Next crack 2 eggs in a separate bowl and whisk gentle. Slowly pour into the mixer with your butter and sugar. Mix until blended.
- Next add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa powder. (You can use a whisk or fork for this just make sure all the powders are mixed together)
- Add the flour mixture and milk taking turns with each one. Do not pour it all at the same time do it in additions.
- Mix well scrapping down the sides of the bowl to insure everything is fully combined. Fill the cupcake tray ¾ of the way with batter.
Bake in oven at 325 for 16-18 min (18min is usually the perfect time)
Peppermint buttercream icing
1/2 C unsalted butter, softened
2-1/2 C icing sugar
2 tablespoons milk- you can use more or less depending on how thick you want it.
1-teaspoon peppermint extract (I used peppermint oil, but you only need ½ a teaspoon because it’s strong.)
2-3 drops green food coloring (I used gel and liquid) (optional)
NOTE: if you want your buttercream thick use less milk. You can also use heavy cream. You can also use more butter if you’re finding it to be granular or not to your taste.
-the brill team